ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Newest Member in Grand Island


Familia y Amigos,

Buenas Tardes once again! I want to wish my mom a Happy Mother's Day once again and say thanks for all that you do. Also all of you other mothers out there. I love the scripture in John 19:25-27, I believe, when Jesus is on the cross and right there below him is his mother and one of his other best friends. Christ says, "Mary, behold thy Son." And then says to his friend, "Behold thy mother." The way I see it is that Christ tells his mother Mary, "Look at who I've become...I've accomplished this because of all that you have done for me." And then before he dies, he tells his friend, "Please take care of my mom!" That scripture was close to my heart yesterday, and I want to be able to say likewise as Christ did: "Mother, behold thy son." Christ's second coming is near and we live at a great time. It's a blessing to be alive and especially to serve as a missionary. I'm so grateful for the privilege to serve my brothers and sisters here in Nebraska and have plans to finish with no regrets!

This past week was incredible for us. We received a call from our Mission President at about 3:00pm one day. He asked us, "Elders, do you have any appointments scheduled for tonight?" We told him that we had one. So he replied: "All right. I'm on my way." We were like, "Wait. Huh?" haha. He drove all the way from Omaha to Grand Island to spend a few hours with us! We took him to a Mexican restaurant and he bought us dinner, and then we went to our appointment. Our investigator had planned to be baptized two days ago but was pretty nervous and wondered if it was still what she wanted to do. With President Weston, we taught her a little bit of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and focused on the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. President Weston testified powerfully of the blessings that would come to her in her life, and then Elder Wells and I also bore testimony! There was an incredible Spirit in the room and she decided that baptism is what she wanted to do because she wants to go to the temple soon! So, we got everything ready for her baptism and she was baptized on Saturday!! It was incredible!


The Newest Member in Grand Island!
 There were several miracles that happened in the process of getting everything ready for her baptism. Usually the baptismal font takes three solid hours for the font to be full and to have hot water. Well, because of some last minute emergencies that we had to take care of the morning of her baptism, we were unable to start the font until two hours before her baptism. Then, we had to do a few other things and were just praying that the font would fill up in time for the baptismal service. Well, when we got back to the church, the font was completely filled and the water was perfect temperature...all with 30 minutes to spare! Somehow the font filled completely with warm water in 90 minutes. That was definitely a blessing.

It was incredible to see our sweet convert in tears in Sacrament Meeting after she received the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I know it's a real thing. I had the privilege of doing the blessing and confirming her a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and it was priceless. I know that the Spirit is real. God lives and loves us. Christ lives, and He died for each of us. I know it's true. Not because I have seen them face to face but because I have felt their love in my heart. This is the true church!

And then, the same night with President Weston, we went and saw our other investigator family and they told us that they wanted to come to church and be baptized. So we set a date for baptism and I just realized that they are planning to get baptized the Saturday before I finish my mission. That would be incredible to see them do this before I finish! We will do our best to help them, and I'm sure it will all work out how it's suppose to. This entire family came to church yesterday and had a great experience! We are really excited about them and hope they come again next week.

I know God loves us and that His blessings are all around us. Pray to notice them and you will. I have a testimony of that. Have a great week!


Love,
Elder Vawdrey


American Fork Elders UNITE!


No comments:

Post a Comment