ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Monday, October 3, 2011

The Spirit changes lives!

Mi Familia y Amigos,

It has been a great week!

Well, first of all, this week was transfers.  It was a little bittersweet when the transfer call came. I found out that my companion, Elder Rigby, was being transferred. I reflected upon all that my trainer had taught me. I am so grateful for all that I have learned from him. He helped me to know how to teach people, not lessons, and to concentrate on the "one." I will always remember the things he taught me...or as he would say...that the Spirit helped me to learn. We did service pretty much the whole last transfer meaning that I didn't really get to teach any investigators, but I learned a lot just from solely serving others through breaking down good ol' sand bag walls.

The first day with my new companion, Elder Jones, we found out we have a lot in common. Found out he is from Logan, UT and ran cross-country at Logan High. He also worked at Subway. But the thing that stood out to me most the first day with him is that he came to this area to WORK.  I love my new companion and I know that we will have a great transfer!!

We have really studied a lot about past investigators here and we have found lots of people to teach and lots of less-active members. We are really excited and hope that we can make a difference here in bringing the happiness we feel to the people in Sioux City! We taught a man named "Serbin" just the other day and it was really great. We went to his house to teach his father who had been living with him for a short time but when we got there, we found out that his father had already returned to Guatemala. But Serbin was kind of in the background when we taught his father and he wanted to hear what we had to say. So, he asked us a lot of questions. Thanks to Elder Jones, who speaks great Spanish, it was a great visit...haha. My spanish isn't amazing, but I still do all I can to focus on what the investigator says. I feel like I understand what he is saying through the Spirit. I could sense how Serbin was feeling as we taught him the first lesson. I didn't always know exactly everything my companion said when answering his questions, but as I bore my testimony, I saw his eyes light up. He looked me straight in the eye, and I knew that he felt the love of God. The feeling is indescribable. I know he felt the Spirit...and he invited us back over again this week. I can't wait to see him again.

I feel like I got to know him quite a bit. I kinda joked around a bit about how I don't know Spanish super well...and I talked with him quite a bit. Sometimes, not knowing exactly what I said...haha and him too...but I feel a bond with Serbin that no way could be how it is if it hadn't been for the Spirit that touched his heart as we testified of the Book of Mormon.

He still has tons of questions, but I can just already see him as an amazing member in the branch and going to the temple with his wife and daughter.

Then, this weekend was conference...wow, was that amazing or what?? I loved every session. I feel like I enjoy conference more every time I watch it because I understand why it's so important. I don't know what my favorite talk was...they were all amazing. But I hope all of you will watch or read the conference talks if you didn't already and review them again. What was said is the Lord's counsel for us for these next 6 months!!

I watched 1/2 of conference in Spanish with some of the members in my branch. I don't know exactly all that was said when I was listening in Spanish, but I could feel the Spirit. And hey, how about the other Provo temple?!! That will be SO sweet! and even in Wyoming, haha

Anyway, my testimony has grown 10-fold this week. I know that we are all children of God and His love for us is perfect. He will help guide our lives towards His will. I love my Heavenly Father and Savior with all my heart. It is such a privilege to be a missionary right now. I know that the Spirit changes lives. Teaching Serbin the other day wasn't by me or my companion...the things he learned and how he felt was from the Spirit. I know this church is true. Remember to look up!

I love you all, have a wonderful week.

Love,
Elder Vawdrey


No comments:

Post a Comment