ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Share the love!

Familia y amigos,
 
Hola! It has been a great week. We began working on the biggest sandbag wall of all... "Dan's wall" haha. It is HUGE. Wow. I have pictures but his house is like a mansion and during the flood his backyard (like a flippin' park) was all covered in water. Had it not been for his huge sandbag wall, his house would be burnt toast. haha
 
This week I went on an exchange with one of my zone leaders, Elder Miller, and with my ward mission leader to go find a hispanic guy that my mission leader knew. When we got to his apartment, a lady answered the door and said he moved. But we got talking with her and pretty quick we asked her if she would be interested in hearing a message...and she immediately invited us in. At this point, I was SO stoked because I haven't really had anything like this before. So anyway, we got talking to her (and she was American...didn't speak Spanish haha... but that's okay) and got to know her a bit. Pretty soon we began to teach about the Restoration and it was awesome. She said she has been trying to find a religion that she can just stay with and commit too. She has been catholic and a member of a different church (that I don't remember) most of her life. And she was so excited to hear our message. We taught her how to pray and then left her with something to read. We didn't teach the whole first lesson, but I think we taught what she needed to hear. Anyway, I'm excited to see how much she progresses in the future.
 
The other day, we had another district meeting and it was so good. The main message was about "becoming", not merely "doing." "Be is the motivation behind do." I remember there was a talk given by an apostle last conference about making a "to be list" instead of a "to do list." Pretty much the lesson was about if we aren't "becoming" someone better each day, then we don't understand our purpose in this life. Too often we are only focused on the "doing" that we don't become. Become is the motivator. Thanks to the Savior, we can always become, look forward, no matter what.
 
This week I have come to a greater understanding of the importance of this life. The Savior overcame everything for each of us. By our obedience we show our appreciation and love for all he did. Anyway, He is with us each and every step of the way. The Church is true.
 
Well, that's my thought for today. But this weekend is general conference. I'm way excited and  hope that you all are too!! Tomorrow is transfers. I can't believe I have already been here for 6 weeks... Hope you all have a great week!
 
Love, Elder Vawdrey
 
PS: The General Conference talk referred to above can be found by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment