ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Monday, October 17, 2011

Here we go...

Hola Familia, Amigos, etc.

Hey!! How are you all? I hope everything is going well!!

It has been a great week here in Sioux City, IA. We have been contacting lots of people and have had lots of opportunities to teach families about the gospel!!

The other day we were walking down a main street here and I saw a guy sitting on his porch at the house just ahead of us..smoking. I felt like we needed to talk to him. As we got closer to his house, I got eye contact with him and asked him how he was doing? He said oh I'm good. I can't even remember what else we talked about, but he talked to us about his family and how he wants to stop smoking. whoa!! nice. This was perfect. We told him that the gospel of Jesus Christ puts a big emphasis on families and that through this message, you will gain the strength and help to overcome your addiction with smoking. He was so excited... that he asked where our church was. He said, I'm coming on Sunday and I'm bringing my son too! haha wow. now that is someone with an open heart. haha anyway, we talked to him more about our message. We gave him a Restoration pamphlet and read him Alma 7:11-13 and he loved it. He took a book of mormon too. so we were pretty excited about him. He was probably one of the nicest guys I have met here in Sioux City, and probably one of the most prepared by the Lord to meet with us.

On Friday Night, he called us and said that he couldn't meet with us again tonight... but he felt super bad. And this Sunday was the Primary Program. Unfortunately we didn't see him at church. We will go stop by again soon. I strongly believe that with him, he wanted to come to church...I see a lot of potential with him. He has a desire to learn more.

Last week, I told you about Edgar and Sandra. We taught them a lesson but Sandra wasn't all for it... she was of the Evangelical belief. We just talked to Edgar last night and pretty much said he doesn't want us to come by again because he is going to that church. He said he believes that our message is good and he thanked us for our time but he said he thinks he should just go to one church. It was really sad for me to hear him say this because I know the joy that he could have. But he has agency, and I can't take that away from him. But the most important thing is that we continue to love them and not neglect them just because they are of another faith. God is a God of love. He loves all no matter who they are, what they have done, or what they believe.

In the mission, we are in a car share with the English Elders. We switch off with the car every week. So every other week we just walk. This is kind of difficult because it is a huge area, but it all works out... and we get a good work out too. Gives us lots of chances to contact people. Contacting people is something I have really liked. Right now, my companion, Elder Jones, and I are really trying to work on asking more "inspired questions." We feel like we have a lot of potential to improve our teaching skills. So, we are going to read the Teaching Skills chapter and practice contacting eachother more.

As for my spanish, hmm.. I have potential in that too :) haha I don't understand everything that people say, but I understand the main points of what they say. and I always share my testimony. I feel like my spanish is at its best when I share my testimony. I'm going to review the grammar with spanish more and continue to talk with hispanics. That is how I have learned the most!

Well, I had a powerful study of the Book of Mormon this week. I know that it is true. It is the foundation of this gospel and I know that it contains the "good news!" I am amazed at the power and the spirit that comes from reading that book. Please read it often. It will guide you in all you do. I know the church is true. This life is real. Jesus Christ will come soon and we are here to prepare for his coming. May we all learn more of him so that we can be more prepared for his coming! I love you all so much. Remember what Heavenly Father thinks of you. Charity endureth FOREVER. Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Vawdrey

P.S. Grandpa Vawdrey, I found out that there is a guy here in our spanish branch that was in your ward when you were a bishop. His last name is Zoebel. He told me about how he went with you up to Montana or Wyoming once to pick up your car or something. haha Anyway, I thought that was really funny.

Alyssa Smeda, congratulations on the great news. hope all goes well for you both!

Hermana Brittni Vawdrey!!! Congratulations, you are going to Argentina! You are probably talking to mom and dad on the phone right now. haha TAKE LUCK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment