ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Monday, September 19, 2011

Of Things that Matter Most

Family and Friends,
 
Hola otra vez!! Como estan?!! Wow... is life busy or what? It has been a week of lots of learning and studying :) Thank you all for your wonderful examples and love. But the lesson I have really been learning lately is Finding Joy in the Journey.

I have a companion who has been here for 21 months and so he is very experienced with the work here. He has a great love for everyone and is amazing with the members of our little Spanish branch. The biggest thing I have learned from him is Patience and how to follow the spirit. I don't know if it's just because I am new here or what but these first few weeks, I was often quick to feeling stressed about pretty much everything. I felt like we weren't doing everything right. I felt like I needed to be more "perfect," I guess you could say.

Elder Vawdrey and Elder Rigby
But, my companion would often ask me: What's on your mind, Elder Vawdrey? And at first I didn't want to talk to him because I was stressed out of my mind, but then I just started to tell him what was stressing me out. He helped me to realize that I shouldn't worry so much about stuff. Honestly, he has changed my life for the better. When I first met him, I thought he was a nice guy, but I judged him. I am so grateful that he didn't judge me and is so loving. He had me read the talk: "Of Things that Matter Most." I suggest you read it. (Click here to read or watch this amazing talk by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf.)

We need to simplify our lives. If all we are concerned about it how many numbers we put up for baptisms and how many things I can do in one day... we will feel stressed all the time. We need to take time to evaluate ourselves often and as we simplify our lives, we will better understand why this gospel is so great and we will be more productive with our time. Also, if we are super stressed, we probably won't be able to follow the spirit. So... this week, I am committing myself to slow down a bit, remember my purpose here in this area, and love people... not judge them.

Sioux City, IA Spanish Branch
Our little branch is doing well. There are many callings being extended right now and we are so excited to see this branch grow. This week I had more opportunities to speak in Spanish and that was so sweet. I loved it. Overall, the work is great here. There is lots to do, but we will do our very best. I have a testimony that I know that Lord places people in our lives for a reason. There is something great we can learn from everyone we encounter. "We shouldn't focus on problems, we should focus on solutions to problems and then solve them."
 
Julian was baptized soon after Brian's arrival

Wrestling un serpiente
LOTS of sandbags to move

"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God!"

Mucho sandbags = mucho musculos!
I love you all and I hope you all have a wonderful week! Much love,
 
Elder Vawdrey

No comments:

Post a Comment