ELDER VAWDREY RETURNS HOME FROM HIS MISSION IN:

Monday, July 30, 2012

Go About Doing Good

Familia y Amigos,

Buenos Dias! July is coming to an end and I can't believe it. Time just is flying. But I hope you all had a great week this week!

At the beginning of this week, my companions and I got back to our apartment a little bit early and we were thinking about what we should do next. One of my companions, Elder Hugentobler, suggested that we just walk around the block. We usually drive around in a car all day so we don't really talk to or see people outside all the time. So we decided we would give it a try. Well, we weren't exactly sure where we were going to walk to, and at one point we just stopped at the corner of the street to figure out who we wanted to go see...and then we saw a family coming towards us on their bikes. We didn't really think anything of it until the dad just came right up to us on his bike and asked us: "What are you guys doing, and who are you?" hahaha! Well, we talked to him for a while and we told him how we are sharing a message about Jesus Christ and that we are missionaries, and his first response was: "Cool, do you want to come over to my house?" hahahaha! We were shocked! We were like, "Yeah, for sure!!" And he was like, "All right, come over tomorrow night!" We were like, "All right! Cool!!" So, that was a big miracle to us. I know the Lord knew exactly where we were and he provided someone in our path to teach!

Well, we went back the next night and come to find out his wife use to attend the Mormon church. She speaks Vietnamese and she attended the Vietnamese branch that use to be here...but lots of the people moved away so the branch no longer exists. We haven't had a chance to talk to her yet though. She wasn't there when we went to go see them... but we were stoked when we were looking around and we saw a Vietnamese Book of Mormon on their shelf in the living room!! So that was sweet to see that, and then the guy told us that he met missionaries before on a bus when he was in California and loved what they taught him. So...after we got to know him a little bit, we taught him about the restoration, and it was sweet! We will come visit him again later this week. So I'm grateful for the seed that previous missionaries planted in his heart as they were riding on a bus so he could be prepared to hear our message today!

Then, as for F and M, we had a good visit with F. M was making tamales in the kitchen while we were there and she showed us how it is done! So sweet! And then they gave us some tamales when they finished! But, F is hilarious! He talked to us about how he had to get surgery on his shoulder He said, "I had to take cinco IBUPROFENS." hahaha. It was hilarious because he said it in English! But we talked with him about prayer and the importance of attending church. Well, F is super willing but the problem is M. They said they would "try" to come to church on Sunday because M was sick. They weren't there, so we will pass by tonight and see how they're doing and hopefully help them to better understand the importance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

And other than that, we have been blessed to have free passes to the Y, so we go there each morning and get some good exercise in.

Things have been going well! We did a lot of service this week too with helping people move. So things are going good! Sorry this letter is short. I'll try to send you a better one next week!!

I hope you all have another great week of summer! Thanks so much for your love and support!

Love,
Elder Vawdrey

Here are some answers to questions I received from home:

Q: Where do you clean your clothes? Laundry mat / members house?
A: We are lucky here in Lexington. We have our own washer & dryer in our apartment.

Q: Are your clothes holding up okay?
Q: My clothes are doing pretty good. I think they will last, but I'll let you know if I ever need anything.

Q: Are you healthy?
A: The past week I was pretty sick and so was Elder Hugentobler. And now I think Elder Terris is getting sick. But, we're fine. I think I only get sick when I'm stressed out. I still am pretty stressed now that I've been called to serve as the District Leader. I just need to learn how to trust in the Spirit more and relax!

Q: Tell us more about your new companions.
A: I have two companions right now. Elder Hugentobler goes home a week from Wednesday. he will be going home a little early like Corey so he can go to school at SNOW COLLEGE!! haha. yeah baby! He is an English-speaking missionary and is a great Elder. He has served as District Leader and Zone Leader several times. He has served with Elders who went A.P. after serving with him. He is a way good cook...loves to cook. He played football and basketball in school. K knows Preach My Gospel really well. And, he refuses to tell people here when is going home. He doesn't want people to know when he's going home. He is an awesome guy. I love him.

Elder Terris has been out almost a year now. He is super buff and loves going to the Y to work out each morning. He is a simple guy and also has a strong testimony. He played football in high school as well. He is someone that can help relieve stress. He's a great kid and is fun and easy to work with. I love Elder Terris.

Q: What are your responsibilities as a DL?
A: As a District leader, I am just in charge of holding a district meeting each week and collecting the #'s from all the elders in my district each Sunday night. There are three companionships in our district and they are a lot of fun. I am excited to work with them. And then more than anything, I just need to be a good example. And then, I will go on exchanges with each of the Elders sometime during the transfer. Probably here in a few weeks.

Q: Do you have weekly responsibilities in your ward? Or do you get to always accompany your investigators?
A: As for our ward, no, we don't really have any responsibilities...other than to strengthen the members and teach investigators. Actually, we teach a Gospel Principles class. Right now it's in English, but if we can get more hispanics to church, then we do the classes ini Spanish. Occasionally, the bishop will ask us to speak in church, but on my mission, I think I've only given two talks in church by assignment from the bishop or branch president. I've been pretty lucky that way! And sometimes we are asked to bless or pass the sacrament. I love it when that happens!!

Q: How can we be a better support from home?
A: I think you are being a great support! I love each of your weekly letters and i appreciate it SO much!! I don't think I have any other suggestions. I can keep thinking. Maybe just keep sending quotes, your testimonies, and entries from your mission (if you wish). But thanks for everything! I love you all!!

My Bishop (Pres. Uchtdorf look-alike) and Elders Terris and Hugentobler

The guy who helped us move didn't like the stump in our yard. Ha!

Happy birthday Elder Terris!

Chillin' in an investigator's hammock!

No comments:

Post a Comment